Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How's this for a title?

I've decided to refocus my speech for nationals - "The Under Recognized Minority - Wheelchair Users: Education, Empowerment and Advocacy". Notice I did not say "confined to a wheelchair".....one of the many interesting things about belonging to a subculture and social media, is that you really get to see what sets people off. Being "confined" is one of them and it bothers me to. I'm not confined to my wheelchair....I can get on my bike, onto a couch, into my car and into a pool if I want to. Many "walkers" see us in our chairs and maybe feel sorry for us or my think "I'm glad I'm not in their shoes" but I've been on both sides....and being in a chair isn't so bad. I get to make really bad puns like "You rock but I roll"....when my mom tripped she said "I can't walk" and I looked at her and said deadpan "Neither can I". Going up hills may be a drag but going down them? WAY more fun than walking! The only 2 times it ever bothers me to be on wheels is when the environment doesn't allow me to do something (hotel rooms are the WORST) or when people look down on me/think I'm not capable. But that's part of my job as an advocate...to educate as many people as possible to show that even though I may be on a chair (aka a "roller) I can do anything I put my mind to !!

1 comment: